Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Care Bears, MegaMen, and Heaven...


Christians often talk about "the hope of heaven". What exactly is it we are hoping for? Heaven, yes I know, but what about heaven? What will be so great about it? What will be there? What will we actually be doing there? The other day my kids were talking about heaven and my young 6 year old theologian was trying to explain the finer points of heaven to his 4 year old sister. It began with Karsyn saying she wanted to take "sharebear", the care bear given to her by Aunt Jill, wherever she went. "I'm even going to take her to heaven with me!" she exclaimed. Dawson suppressed his laughter and exchanged a knowing look with me before sharing with his sister some sage wisdom that he learned himself not many months ago. "I'm really sorry Karsyn", he began, "but you can't take sharebear to heaven with you. We won't be taking anything at all!" She said, "really? Not even our clothes?". They had a good little giggle about that, then Dawson went on to talk about not taking anything because God was making it so we wouldn't need anything. She didn't really like this answer and whimpered, "but I want Sharebear". Dawson in his attempt to empathize with his sister told her that he can't take his Megaman with him either. He said everything that will be there will be way better than anything we could ever want to take with us.

I wonder, what is it that you might be holding onto? What is it that seems more important than eternal life to you? Maybe you're not clutching sharebear to your chest and hanging on for dear life, but I would submit that many of us hang on to other things. Is it money, your job, relationships, power, entertainment - or simply satisfaction with the status quo?

I don't know about you, but I am certainly not hoping for an eternity of sitting on a cloud singing and playing a harp. Don't get me wrong, times of worship, reflection, and relaxation are wonderful and I'm sure will be a great part of heaven. But here on earth once I've had a nice little rest, I'm ready to do something man! I really think heaven will be far more active than many perceive it to be. I've read some authors like Randy Alcorn, Ted Dekker, C.S. Lewis, and others who have suggested that we will indeed be very busy in our eternal state. It will be a continuation of that "full abundant life" that Christ has come to give us. Will you join me in living that out - forever... even without carebears and megamen?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brodie,

I love this entry. Not only can I hear the kids talking like this, but I love your message in it, Brodie. What are we holding on to??? What would it profit a man to gain the whole world, but lose his soul??? All that we hold dear in this life is not all that will be dear in the life hereafter. Consumerism, preoccupation with image and possessions, and the corruption of values all work to impede our spriritual health. Thanks for the urging to check ourselves to see what we're holding on to...(note, read Henry David Thoreau's Walden's Pond or Life in the Woods and his other works...he's my favourite philosopher)

Also note, my very favourite author's depiction of heaven is in Randy Alcorn's book Deadline. It's awesome.

Ciao amigos.

Jill

Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! Cpu usage utilities Super sevens slots plastic surgeons in baton rouge la. http://www.explainwhatiswirelessbarcodescanners.info/Can-i-buy-a-professional-soccer-team.html Where can i purchase a domain name Crayfish model