Sunday, February 11, 2007

Pinch-Hitting Preacher

I was given a very unique opportunity this week. I serve as one of the Assistant Pastors at Calvary Church in Peterborough. Our Senior Pastor, Rev. Frank Patrick, was ill this week and under doctor's orders not to do anything, including preach. Other members of the pastoral staff were either ill or away and the task of preaching fell to me. I was quite thrilled to be able to preach to a large crowd in both Sunday morning services. As I was preparing I couldn't help being reminded of legendary baseball player
Lou Gehrig.


The New York Yankee First Base Hall of Famer is well-known for holding the record of most consecutive games played for decades until the great Cal Ripken Jr. broke it in the ’95 season. Lou Gehrig’s streak began in 1925 when he replaced the regular Yankee first baseman, Wally Pipp. Wally Pipp asked for a day off because of a headache, and never played for the New York Yankees again. Lou Gehrig’s consecutive game streak had begun.


This morning I had the privilege of “pinch-hitting” for Pastor Frank while he recuperated from illness at home. I can assure you though, unlike Wally Pipp, Pastor Frank will be back in his familiar position real soon!

6 comments:

Terry said...

That is so nice that you could pinch hit for Pastor Frank and it is even nicer that he could rely on you and trust that you would, with the Lord's help do a good job Brodie.

I'm glad that it is the guys that do the preaching.
I sure wouldn't be able to do it!
Teaching Sunday School is not so hard but man to be at the pulpit preaching...I would be shaking in my boots!....from Terry

PS..By the way Brodie...That Fish has been shirking his duty I think.
Haven't heard tell of him for a few days!!

Anonymous said...

Glad things went well when you were "called up to the big league" this past week-end son.

Terry said...

Dear Brodie...I feel a little bad at the way I was teasing David. I just got an email from him telling me to ask the "Fisher Connection" to pray for him...
Talk about one big foot in the mouth!!,,,from Terry

David Warren Fisher said...

Way to go, Brodie!

Terry said...

Good morning Brodie...Hope everything is going good for you and your little family....God's blessings... from Terry

Anonymous said...

hi every person,

I identified hopeofhiscalling.blogspot.com after previous months and I'm very excited much to commence participating. I are basically lurking for the last month but figured I would be joining and sign up.

I am from Spain so please forgave my speaking english[url=http://smartthoughtsri.info/].[/url][url=http://webscrapers.info/].[/url][url=http://behindthescenesbr.info/bookmarks].[/url]