Friday, November 18, 2005

Bad Humour

Short jokes, long jokes, corny jokes, knock-knock jokes - there are many things that make us laugh, and not all are jokes, but I love all kinds of jokes. I am not a joke teller myself, but I am a comedian's best friend because I love to laugh! The greatest "joke" tellers I've met are my uncle - Ed Doiron, and my former Pastor and family friend - Bob Gallant. The funniest people I know are my brother -Scott, my good friend - Brian Lachine, and my mentor - Kirk Goodman. Anytime I spend with any of these people, I am usually doubled over with laughter. But when it is my turn to be funny, I rarely get the laughs I hope for!

The other day, I was trying to be funny but in a really unfunny way. I was being sarcastic. A good friend of mine, Ray Jones, says that sarcasm is the lowest form of humour - and, next to sexual jokes, I would have to agree. Unfortunately, it is the form that many of us resort to because it is so easy to poke fun at others expense. I did this recently while visiting a friend. I noticed a picture on a shelf of him and his bride on the day of their wedding. They were sitting in the limo, about to be whisked away to their romantic honeymoon. I not-so-wittily remarked, "look at her face, she's thinking, 'oh no, what have I done!'". My friend laughed politely and I smiled to myself thinking, "how clever am I!". However, I was immediately pricked in my spirit. "Marriage is to be honored by all..." Heb.13:4. I quickly apologized and he assured me no harm was done.

It made me think though. We need to be making every effort to encourage, lift up, and support everyone we interact with. Again from Hebrews, "Let us encourage one another..." (10:25). My good friend has a great post called, "Body Language" that exhorts us to do this. Please visit David Fisher's Blog to read it! In the meantime, lets not resort to sarcasm and potshots to get a laugh. It only makes for hurt feelings, sour relationships, a poor reputation, and bad humour.

6 comments:

Full-On-Forward said...

I so appreciate your honesty. I often have said if I had my head filled with as much scripture as I do off the wrong type of joke I could be a much more effective teacher in the kingdom of God!! I really like your site. Mine is in the beginning stages and I have tons more to learn about blogging. If I may I waould like to put a link on my blog pointing to yours. I know my friends could gain from visiting your blog. I am going to open mine up to all in a few weeks. I'm just laerning how to do it and want it to be a little better. I pray God's blessing on you and yours and may you to Continue to glorify our God

John McElveen
Josan111@yahoo.com
http://fullonforward.blogspot.com/

I would love for you to glance at
my blog if you ever have the time and would welcome any comments or suggestions!!

David Warren Fisher said...

Did I mention hockey?

Sorry, I'm trying to be funny but I'm not succeeding!

Did you hear about the hockey player from PEI who got a breakaway while playing pond hockey on the St. Lawrence River. Aw, forget about it...

Love you, bro!

David

Anonymous said...

Great entry, Brod. A note on sarcasm...

I remember as an adolescent being especially sarcastic, as many adolescents are wont to do. Thankfully, this negative communication style of mine was curbed before it took deep root. The catalyst for this chage came from reading the school novel "A Seperate Peace" by John Knowles. For those who don't remember this novel, or who weren't assigned it as a school reading, it is a classic coming of age story. I'll never foget the quote from the young, but wise, character that helped me to realize my sarcasm was actually a defensive stance: "Sarcasm is the protest of those who are weak".

So Brod, I agree...there is a difference between sarcasm and whit, and one is negative, while the other is not.

Jill

David Warren Fisher said...

Thanks for the "YES" on the back window of the van!

I got a good laugh from that!

David

Anonymous said...

Brodie,

just saw our cousin Chris this morning and he told me how much he liked your blogs...so I'm wondering why I don't see any comments from him???

Come on, Chrissy, get typing!

Jill

Rodney Olsen said...

I have an extremely sarcastic mind which I constanly have to keep under control.

The radio station where I work uses the positioning statement 'No Greed, No Ridicule, No Hurt.' Thankfully, having to foillow that statement on-air means that it filters through to the rest of my life but it's a constant journey to use humour and language that builds up rather than tearing down.