Friday, November 11, 2005

What does war look like?

That is the question my son asked as we watched the news on TV the other day. They were doing a piece on the upcoming Remembrance Day (today) ceremonies. Old black and white footage was shown from both world wars. I told him that is what it looked like, though we could never imagine what it must truly be like. He, like many young boys, is fascinated with war, soldiers, and army stuff. I proudly tell him about Canada's role in both World Wars and in peace keeping efforts. I tell about our reputation for bravery, loyalty, sacrifice, and success. I tell the stories of Vimy Ridge and Normandy, censored for a 6 year old, but not censored too much...

I also tell him what little I know of my grandfather's service in World War II. Like many veterans, I understand it was not a topic that was discussed in detail as my father grew up. But I can tell my son that his Great-Grandfather served in the war, fought for freedom, was wounded and "played dead" so as to avoid being captured by enemy soldiers marching through.

Dawson sits there with eyes wide and mouth open as I tell the story of Sergeant Lloyd Allison MacLeod of the Cape Breton Highlanders, wounded in Italy. We all want to have heroes. Today we can be thankful for the many heroes our country has as we remember those who served to preserve our freedom and the freedom of others.

Please leave a comment and add the name of a friend or family member who served their country.

2 comments:

David Warren Fisher said...

Brodie: Another great post, my friend! You're doing a great job on your blog. It's fun (and rewarding) isn't it!

Have a great weekend!

By the way, none of my relatives served in either war as far as I know but I'm certainly thankful for those who did!

Your bud,

David

Anonymous said...

Remembrance Day...every year around this time my emotions are marked with a sense of sadness, pride, nostalgia, and always, tears. As you read from Brodie's blog entry, our grandfather, Lloyd Allison MacLeod served in WWII, was wounded in Italy, pretended to be dead to fool the Germans hunting the living on the body-laiden battlefield to be killed or captured, was rescued by his own troops and later convalesced in England after receiving surgery from a German POW surgeon. Every year at this time I am filled with honour and pride that my grandfather went to war to save his country and the family he was to have.

I wonder what he thought about while he bravely faced death overseas. Was he was thinking about the bride he was to have in 1946, or the three sons he would have soon after? I wonder if he thought about the 7 grandchildren his sons would give them when he lay in wait, his fate uncertain.

I didn't know my grandfather. He died when I was 3 months old. I have grieved for him my whole life. I remember weeping as a young girl in my bed at night, longing to have known him and feeling a void in my life to not have any memory of him, save the created memories I now have provided by the few pictures of him holding me as an infant. So although I take time to remember the many Veterans who have protected Canada, Remembrance Day is also the time of year I take annually to grieve my grandfather's death.

My grandfather was a great man. I can only imagine the sense of duty and bravery, mixed with a measure of fear he must have felt went he went to war for Canada.

Thank you, Grampie. I miss you.

Jill