Friday, November 04, 2005

Putting Air in your Tires

I am not much of a cyclist. However, a bit out of necessity and a bit out of a need to exercise, I do bike to work on a regular basis. It is about a 20 minute ride and there are a couple of steeeeeeep hills en route. When I began in the spring I probably felt the way most 30-somethings carrying a few extra pounds would feel. I was sore, tired, and out of breath. As the time went on, I found myself getting there quicker and feeling slightly better. Soon, it became really no big deal at all. When I pushed, I could cut the time to 15 minutes. (my personal best, 12 minutes, was the night my parents arrived from PEI - I was anxious for those hugs!)

A while ago, sometime in late summer, I noticed my time wasn't as good and my body was feeling it more. I dismissed it quickly as just a bad run - not enough sleep lately or something. But it continued. I never thought much of it, just made a quick mental note of it each ride almost subconsciously. I knew it was not the same as before, but I didn't do anything about it. I just carried on as always. I kept peddling, I kept on changing gears, I took the same route, I did the same things as before, but it was different. Nevertheless, I did not do a thing about it.

Finally the other day I took the time to put some air in my tires. What a difference!!! I seemed to just breeze down my street out of the driveway, then the first hill was conquered with ease. I was feeling like Lance Armstrong! Well, maybe not quite - but you get the idea.

I share all of this simply to share the thought that popped into my mind during my ride. So often we struggle through our faith wondering why we seem to be "down" - or as brother Garfield would say, unable to "shout the victory". Despite the Bible's warnings, many believers seem to be "weary in well doing". Just like me pushing the pedals on my bike, we keep doing the same things, we keep on going to church, being involved in small groups, teaching Sunday School, and even doing daily devotions, but there is a flatness to it all. Somewhere along the way we notice a difference from the way it was before. Maybe it is even just subconsciously, thinking, "this is just not the same vibrant faith I used to enjoy". The problem is, just as my bike tire was missing some air, we are far to often missing the key element to a victorious Christian life - the Holy Spirit! "And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit." Eph.5:18 The Spirit is the source of our joy and hope and strength in our Christian faith. The greek language communicates a continual filling, something that needs to be attended to. "Keep on being filled..." is accurate. The disciples of the first century recognized the importance of this. "And the disciples were continually filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit." Acts 13:52.

So do not be discouraged when your faith is feeling "flat". Just be sure to inflate it with God's Holy Spirit in your life. Invite Him to fill you, lead you, teach you, comfort you, and build character in you as you exhibit the fruit of that infilling - Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness, Self-control along with the many gifts. I guess, as the saying goes, that is where the rubber meets the road!

2 comments:

David Warren Fisher said...

Brodie:

Just got home and the first thing I did (almost) was check to see if you had posted any new articles! Wow! What a pleasant surprise! Good stuff, Brod!

You're a "tireless" worker! Give my CONGRATULATIONS to Dawson and don't ever stop being a proud father!

Love you Brodie!

Your workmate,

Daeeeeeeeeeeeve (as Patrick calls me)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, well that comment of Chris' reminds me of the time Brodie borrowed my (pink) 10 speed, biked accross the bridge, met Chris at Doiron's and together you guys biked to the Towers Mall...and left the bikes without locks! 'Member that?

Jill